Bids For Connections

April 29, 2018


In class we discussed bids for connections which can be anything from a question, to a gesture, to a look, or to a touch. These bids for a connection can be small things or larger things. My boyfriend and I exhibited all these different types of bids for connections today. It all started this morning when I woke up. Once I was fully awake, I started smoothing out is hair. This touch exhibited “turning towards” with an “I love you” response. My boyfriend then smiled back at me. This look exhibited “turning towards” with a “good morning” response. After that my boyfriend asked how I slept. This question exhibited “turning towards” with  an “I care about you” response. Finally, my boyfriend always keeps a glass of water by his bed. He took a sip and offered me some. This gesture exhibited “turning towards” with another “I care about you” response.

As you can see all of these bids for connections exhibit turning towards. Turning towards is a positive response. The other two responses are turning away turning against. Turning away is when the bid for connection is ignored. Turning against is when there is some kind of attack. I can’t really recall a time that my boyfriend turned against me. There are some times when he has turned away from me though.

My favorite show is Secret Life of The American Teenager. It’s kind of a cheesy show. I’ve seen the series about 3 times. I still like to watch it though during the daytime and while we’re relaxing at night. Though, my boyfriend is definitely getting tired of watching the series. So sometimes when I ask if it’s okay if I turn the show on, he ignores me. Five minutes will go by and I realize I never got an answer, so I’ll ask again. He normally always let’s me watch, no matter how much he hates it.

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Popular Posts